Summer Virtual Cybersecurity and IT Externship Rotation
The Summer Virtual Cybersecurity and IT Externship Rotation is a structured two-week program from June 14 – June 25, 2021. A cohort of participants (externs) from across Arizona, including high school, community college, university students, and veterans will rotate through diverse industry experiences provided by multiple employers. Externs will engage in professional development opportunities and meet with our special guest speaker, Tim Roemer, Director of Arizona Department of Homeland Security.
Externs will develop acumen that will maximize their ability to pursue IT and cybersecurity careers and enhance their networks. This abbreviated experience will allow for externs to maximize connections with employers and work collaboratively on a project.
The goals for this externship are to:
- Gain exposure to cybersecurity and IT industry and career pathways.
- Learn about the different opportunities and required skills across different industries.
- Provide practical, real-world experience through team project-based learning.
Program Schedule: This program is 100% virtual.
- Week 1 (June 14 – June 18)
- Meet with employers during 1 – hour sessions
- Week 2 (June 21 – June 25)
- Work on virtual team projects with mentors.
- Engage in professional development, including LinkedIn/resume support, guest speakers, and more.
- Showcase your project with employer partners!
Externs who successfully complete this program will receive a stipend.
- Must be an Arizona resident.
- No prior experience needed.
- Must have a desire and enthusiasm for cybersecurity and/or IT-related careers.
- Must be available to participate from June 14 – June 18, 2021, during the mornings. ***
- Must have access to reliable computer and internet. **
- Must be able to use Zoom.
- Must be at a minimum 16 years of age.
- Externs under 18-years of age will need a parent or guardian consent form.
*** Approximately 2 -3 hours per weekday, up to 25 hours total.
**If you need access to a computer and internet, please contact Ngan Pham at email@example.com. (Please include “Externship Rotation” in the subject line).
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact Ngan Pham at firstname.lastname@example.org. (Please include “Externship Rotation” in the subject line).
In one word document, please include your resume, cover letter, and answer the following questions. We are looking for enthusiasm/tenacity, communication/listening skills, interpersonal skills, transferrable skills, self-motivation, pathway fit, resourcefulness and persistence.
***Please note this program is for Arizona residents.
**High school students who need support with their resume and cover letter, please contact our College and Career Coach, Kaycee O’Neill at email@example.com.
- What about this program interests you the most?
- Please share what occupation(s) you are interested and why.
- Provide an example of a time when you completed a successful team project and what made it successful.
- Describe a mistake and how you addressed it.
- What do you hope to gain from this externship?